Saturday, April 23, 2011

Choosing a Care Provider 101 - Mistake not to make #2

I don't want to hear you say:
"I used him because my best friend did."

Word of mouth is always a good thing, and I sure think you can trust your best friend to give you good feedback, but this is not a reason to hire Dr. X without interviewing him (and others) first. Your friend might have wanted completely different things for her pregnancy and birth than you want from yours.
I know that when I first started my work as a doula and educator I was shocked to find out that my best friend wanted an automatic C-section. (But luckily she had a Lamaze Educator by her side, a good head on her shoulders and that didn’t happen… more on that later!) Point being, if it hadn’t been for my budding career and inability to shut up about birth, I never would have known that our preferences were so dissimilar. So while word of mouth is a fantastic reason to interview your best friend’s doctor just make sure you have a few other options to compare her with!

No comments:

Post a Comment